“You hear so many arguments defending the status quo.”
The Nexus podcast (Apple | Spotify | YouTube | Other apps) is our chance to explore and learn with the brightest in our industry—together. The project is directly funded by listeners like you who have joined the Nexus Pro membership community.
You can join Nexus Pro to get a weekly-ish deep dive, access to the Nexus Vendor Landscape, and invites to exclusive events with a community of smart buildings nerds.
Episode 20 is a conversation with Andrew Rodgers, co-founder of ACE IoT.
- This is a masterclass on what the word open means for buildings. Open is a very controversial and murky topic. I think Andrew clears some of that up in this conversation… it’s about choice. It’s about self-actualization.
- Don’t let the deep nerdiness of this conversation scare you away. If we could unlock the data in our buildings and open up communication, we could do things like help mitigate climate change, create healthier indoor environments, and finally automate our buildings.
- Andrew and I talked about myths, definitions, and walked through each layer of the smart building stack to unpack it in depth, including how we can learn from slime molds, which have it all figured out.
- And much, much more.
Mentions and Links
- ACE IoT (2:24)
- VOLTTRON (2:34)
- Pacific Northwest National Lab (4:42)
- Electric Power Research Institute (5:47)
- Mike Brooman, Vanti (8:49)
- JCI OpenBlue (9:40)
- Oracle (20:49)
- Arm (24:23)
- Deepinder Singh, 75F (24:41)
- I²C (25:24)
- Calvin Slater, AHR Expo (26:07)
- Joe Aamidor (32:40)
- Local Law 97 (35:25)
- Deb Noller, Switch Automation (37:40)
- ASHRAE 223, Google’s Digital Buildings (42:50)
- Kubernetes (51:52)
- MongoDB (56:26)
- Niagara (58:47)
- Advanced Supervisory Control 1.0, ASC 2.0 (1:04:16)
You can find Andrew Rodgers on LinkedIn
Music credit: The Garden State by Audiobinger
THE ABOVE AUDIO, VIDEO, SUMMARY, AND LINKS WILL ALWAYS BE FREE. PODCAST DEEP DIVES WITH MY REACTIONS, MY TOP HIGHLIGHTS, AND THE FULL TRANSCRIPT ARE EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS OF
Here’s this week’s deep dive outline:
My reaction, including highlights:
Andrew’s answer to my favorite question is the pain-consumer distance and how the market isn’t self-regulating
The difference between open ecosystems and open source
How it all comes down to capabilities that are unlocked and personal preference
Open vs. interoperable
Where open source fits
Walking up the stack from the edge and what open means at each level (hardware, BACnet, APIs, platforms)
Why closed ecosystems won’t help us realize our future vision as an industry and how slime molds have it all figured out
The VOLTTRON open ecosystem and how it innovation happens with that model
How open-source can solve our workforce shortage
Examples of other tech from other industries going from closed to open and how open source is free like puppies.
How open is Niagara?
The vision for VOLTTRON and how AceIOT deploys it for their clients