“I think it’s a huge issue that people face when they’re dealing with digital twins: it’s very easy to get lost in the art of the possible, or even just the academia of a digital twin… And the possibilities are, I guess we could call it endless. That might be cliche, but the key to actually unlocking that value is getting started somewhere.”
The Nexus podcast (Apple | Spotify | YouTube | Other apps) is our chance to explore and learn with the brightest in our industry—together. The project is directly funded by listeners like you who have joined the Nexus Pro membership community.
You can join Nexus Pro to get a weekly-ish deep dive, access to the Nexus Vendor Landscape, and invites to exclusive events with a community of smart buildings nerds.
Episode 30 is a conversation with Matthew Vogel, Program Manager of Azure IoT Smart Places and Energy Team at Microsoft.
- I met Matthew a few weeks ago when he sat on a panel I moderated at Realcomm, which was great fun. If you're wondering what Microsoft is up to in the smart building space, this episode is definitely for you.
- We talked about Microsoft's Azure Digital Twin platform and ecosystem, and how it, as Matthew says, is designed to accelerate the time to results for the smart buildings market.
- We talk about how they're doing that, and why I see value in it.
- Of course, we also covered the data modeling aspect of the digital twin, including the open source digital twin definition language, and where that sits in context with similar efforts we've covered on other episodes.
Mentions and Links
- Microsoft Azure IoT (1:06)
- Realcomm (1:14)
- Azure Digital Twin (1:23)
- Microsoft Pt 1 with Emmanuel Daniel (3:21)
- Willow (13:19)
- Steelcase (14:59)
- RealEstateCore (18:03)
- Optio3 (24:22)
- RXR Realty (39:54)
- DTDL (40:45)
- Matthew’s recent blog post, with examples: Idun ProptechOS, Vasakronan, YIT (43:49), Brookfield, Oxford (48:53)
- Bentley, e-Magic (51:14)
You can find Matthew Vogel on LinkedIn.
Thoughts, comments, reactions? Let us know in the comments.
Music credit: The Garden State by Audiobinger
THE ABOVE AUDIO, VIDEO, SUMMARY, AND LINKS WILL ALWAYS BE FREE. PODCAST DEEP DIVES WITH MY REACTIONS, MY TOP HIGHLIGHTS, AND THE FULL TRANSCRIPT ARE EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS OF
Here’s this week’s deep dive outline:
My reaction, including highlights:
Matthew answers James’ favorite question - it’s a different skillset and different set of stakeholders
interaction between Matthew’s team on the product side and the Redmond campus project
Defining digital twins and clearing up common misconceptions
Relationship between Azure and digital twin partners like Willow
How their approach enables portability among vendors
How building owners should get started - one use case at a time, or build out the digital twin and see where the data takes you? ; prioritization of use cases based on ROI
Where DTDL and RealEstateCore fit in the greater industry context
What Matthew is excited about - accelerating time to results