Riversouth was the first smartscore platinum building in Austin where various smart technologies were designed, deployed and integrated to achieve 100+ use cases that focused on:
• Improving tenant experience
• Gain visibility into building utilization
• Centralize and streamline building operation
• Automate and optimize utility consumption
The primary data orchestration and operations software that enabled the above use cases is KODE OS, a cloud based building operating system designed and deployed by KODE Labs.
KODE Labs acted as the master systems integrator at this site along with deployers of their platform KODE OS.
A four step process was followed as part of their MSI scope:
1. Identify the use cases desired by Stream across the overarching desired goals.
2. Create ideal / conceptual technical architectures/integrations required to achieve each use case.
3. Map selected technologies and their ability to integrate with each other to the conceptual architectures to identify where, if any, gaps exist.
4. Work with the client, contractors and system vendors to bridge the identified gaps.
Significant technologies that allowed for successful deployment here are:
- A converged building network, that allows for centralized management of all network-based devices and better cybersecurity going forward.
- A comprehensively integrated access control, destination dispatch, smart parking and locker system that allows users to pass through all such systems through a single credential.
- A smart building management platform (KODE OS) that not only integrates with and surfaces important data across all systems but also acts as a data orchestrator for data pass-through between systems.
Some notable use cases are:
- A cleaning protocol based on occupancy and smart bathroom sensors that submit cleaning tickets to the work order system once various thresholds are reached.
- Easy and touchless entrance from parking, elevator, to your door.
- Advanced mechanical system metrics such as chiller coefficient-of-performance, AHU loads, etc. that allow building team to ensure HVAC is tuned appropriately.
- A tenant app that is integrated with systems such as lockers, access control, elevators, and IOT sensors to act as the central tool for occupants.
- Providing each tenant their own tenant operational interface through which they can do after-hours HVAC and overrides of equipment. This reduces hot/cold calls for the operations team and gives tenants more control of their space.
- Provide each tenant the ability to integrate additional systems within their space, on to KODE OS, and have everything live in one single pane of glass.
The Riversouth building is a model for other smart buildings in the world as it demonstrates substantial and meaningful technology deployment and integrations to deliver better experiences.
Latest reporting at RiverSouth show:
First SmartScore Platinum building in Texas - certified within 48 hours of completion.
24% Energy cost savings above code. This saves approximately $176,667 per year and avoids 1,252 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (MTCO2e) per year.
60% Outdoor water savings during peak watering month (July) = 26,951 gallons of potable water saved and avoids 2.42 MTCO2e.
34% Indoor water savings = 628,031 gallons of potable water saved annually and avoids 56.52 MTCO2e.
961,245 gallons of stormwater and condensate are collected, treated, and reused annually. This avoids 86.51 MTCO2e.
Indoor Environmental Quality: CO2 ratings have been in an excellent range across the entire building according to ASHRAE standards, with the entire building being at around 400 PPM at most times.
Cleaning/Smart Toilet: Through smart restroom consumable notification/on-demand cleaning, buildings have shown to save 35% of consumable waste (throwing out paper towels before the roll is empty, etc.).
The really notable component about RiverSouth is that through clever use of open technologies and softwares, they were able to achieve the above without the need for any custom/non-scalable/one-time development that is typically found in buildings that have achieved similar results as Riversouth.
Future plans for Riversouth contain further tuning and optimization of the HVAC system and KODE modules such as Optimized Start-Stop.
The next big step for RiverSouth is to give tenants access to their spaces via open APIs so they can build on top of existing experiences as they desire.